Tuesday was a relaxed, do-nothing day. It was great. After we slept in a little, we decided to take a taxi in to Quinta Avenida (5th Avenue) and shop at the outdoor markets. I'd guess it was a little over 3 miles or so from the Riu Yucatan. We thought we'd ride in and walk back, and that worked out well. When you first get to the market, it looks like any strip mall we would have, but then once you get further into it, it looks like more of a swap meet. We don't have those here in UT, but we had lots of them where I grew up, in CA. There were lots of stands selling the same things. All manned by people desperate for your business. We had to laugh at some of the things they would say to you, like "Hey honeymooners. Honeymooner pricing." or "Blue Light Special" or "Just give me one Mexican minute, my friend." I kept wondering
how they knew we were from California, because they kept calling that out to us. Then I realized Michael was wearing his West Coast Choppers T Shirt and his San Diego hat. I had to laugh too when they'd say things like "You are from California. We love California. Since you are from California, I like you. We'll make you a deal." It was so manipulative. They don't understand the concept of "browsing." As soon as you look anywhere in their direction, they're all over you and won't lay off. They kept trying to sell me things I wasn't sure I really wanted! It was fun to walk through. We spent the early afternoon there and then decided to head back to the hotel on foot. Along the way there was a park alongside the road called Xaman Ha. It had ruins in it too. We wandered through there too, on our way back to the hotel. Its so cool how these ruins are EVERYWHERE there. Once we got back to the hotel, we hit the beach. It was a fun, relaxing day. I think the sun actually peeked out from behind the clouds for a little bit, too. It was paradise!

Once again, we hung out for the evening entertainment. Always good for a few laughs!
No comments:
Post a Comment