Thursday we were planning on visiting their eco park called Xcaret (eesh-car-et), but had to switch things around a little because it was pouring rain all morning! Being dissatisfied with our collection of souvineers to bring home, we decided to brave the outdoor market one last time. By late afternoon, the rain let up and we were able to hang out a little more on the beach too! I grinned at my big bag full of Mexican vanilla, wrapped up in my suitcase, as I packed it away! That night ended with the typical hanging out watching the entertainment and sipping daquiris. Friday we caught a taxi early morning, along with our new-found friends and traveling companions, the Roses. We went our separate ways at the park and met up with them for the night show. This park was very cool. I'm not sure how to describe it; kind of like somewhere between a really decked out zoo and Disneyland. You're right in the middle of the jungle and there are walking trails everywhere. They had horticulture areas where they were growing orchids, mushrooms and various other exotic plants. Then there was the Rio Gran Paraiso where you sat on a boat that they paddle you around on. It follows the path of a cenote. The water is crystal clear and you can see lots of wild life everywhere. I think one of my favorite attractions there was the mariposa exhibit; butterflies were everywhere. Its a jungled area complete with waterfall and trails to climb, all over. Tons of butterflies were all around; irridescent blue, bright orange, bold yellows - it was beautiful! They also had some Enya playing in the background - nice touch! We also visited the area where they farm Tilapia and tortoises, a shark exhibit, along with a few new animals; a cebu and a tipar. With our admission, we got snorkel gear and were able to swim a cenote there. This cenote was very cool. You swim in and out of caves, right through the jungle. In the middle there is a cave you go into and at the top, they've put an enormous stained glass window, with lots of butterflies over it. I heard the Enya music too and knew exactly where we were swimming under! Then the river leads you to some mangroves, where tree roots are growing everywhere around you; absolutely beautiful! By around 5:30 or so, we were heading over to their show they put on at night. It's absolutely amazing too! All the people at the night show are dressed primatively; complete with body paint and everything. They seat you in a stadium with a poke to poke court in front of you. Then the music starts and they play a game for you, so you can envision what they've been telling you about at all the ruins. They also have a tradition of playing a different ball game where they light the ball on fire and hit it with sticks that basically look like hockey sticks. This was very cool. They go on to show you a musical story of what happened in their culture, including the Spanish invasion, and the people dance and sing for you in their native attire. It spans primitive days up until now. It was really cool. We got back to our hotel from that by around 9:30 or so. It was a REALLY fun, long day. We didn't stay up too late; the next day we had to get up early to catch our flight home! Saturday morning, we woke up early, had yet another HUGE breakfast (they feed you really good), and took a stroll around the grounds. Then, we checked out and met in the lobby with the shuttle, to head to the airport! And, we were off! I had to laugh at the big lines at the various stores that sell medications without prescriptions.....they were packed! They even sold medications at the duty-free airport! It was such a great time and I was so sad to leave the freedom I felt there from the stress of every-day life. I was, however, missing my babies very much! We were so glad to see them! All throughout our vacation we kept saying how it would truly be paradise, if only there were 3 little boys running round with us ( and a nanny)! I promise, it won't be another 10 years before we get to do this again; it was too fun to wait that long!
2 comments:
It sounds like a great trip! I'm glad you got to go enjoy yourselfs and recharge!
I'm just now reading about your trip. It looks beautiful. I'm glad you had such a great time, and you definitely deserved some time away with your husband! Kristin
Post a Comment