Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dog For A Day: Yes, Mom's A Loser

No, this wasn't some special title I got to have, but rather a regretable omission of my guilt. I'd been after Michael for awhile to get a dog for the boys. I get so tired of Jared and Gavin being afraid to play outside because of dogs. It gets old sitting in the house watching your kids cower on the porch, and run into the house screaming like little girls because of a "killer poodle." I mean....come on! It's a poodle! Or whatever dog it happens to be that day.... All the dogs around us are nice dogs, and I don't get my boys' fear. (NOTE - Sometimes sarcasm isn't expressed appropriately through text. I'm trying to convey that poodles. big or small, aren't intimidating to normal people, but not the Brown boys....In fact, pretty much anything not human that moves, is intimidating to them)

So, long story short (maybe too late), we thought we'd get a dog for the boys as "therapy." Well, turns out it was therapy enough for me to realize I wasn't ready for the commitment I'd need to make to having a dog. We picked up this adorable Labbe (half Labrador, half Beagle). She was the ideal dog, really. She was already 4 years old and totally trained, thanks to a nice couple who provides a foster home for Labs until theyr'e placed into permanent homes - you could tell they put a lot of time and love into training "Shelby." So, we brought her home on a Saturday, and got settled in. Then the reality of how much room in the house she'd take up, hit me. Her food dished took up half the laundry room (which is downstairs). Then her "bed" took up much needed space in Jared and Gavin's bedroom. Then there was the kennell which took up a chunk of the toy room. Then, there was the dog herself. The weather was cold and that also hit me, how much she needed to get out and walk, but we don't have a fence. Then, when I wanted to sleep in on Sunday, she needed to be taken out. Not to mention the shedding....I know, really shallow reasons, but it hit me that I wasn't ready for this type of commitment. And trust me, I feel rightly stupid for having to get her home and settled in, before realizing this. So, I basically got overwhelmed and cried to Michael ( I know, whimp) that I couldn't handle more stress. And then Sunday, we decided to call the nice couple we picked her up from, to ask if they would take her back. Thankfully, they did. I felt like a serious schmuck. These people were so kind and went and got us everything we'd need for "Shelby." They even took pictures of the kids meeting Shelby for the first time. That makes me feel especially guilty (as it should).... So, if you are reading this Mahoneys, know that I am very sorry. We took her back soon enough that there weren't any tears from the kids. Thank heaven! I think a fish might be a better idea...

6 comments:

Rebecca H. said...

Our kids are scared of "poodles" to. Feels like a blog we should br writing, except we wont be getting a dog anytime soon. . .

Rebecca H. said...

By the way, the song on your blog: "how much is that Doggie in the window" is a fitting tribute to your experience. We empathize.

Tricia said...

How Funny Kari - At least you found out that this wasn't for you at first instead of waiting a few months or years to discover it. My kids are terrified of animals. Luckily my parents have a dog, so everytime we go up there they are able to get more used to them. It is amazing how that has helped. Big dogs still terrify them, but I'm not too nervous about that since some of them are literally as tall as my children.

Mindi said...

Too funny, it won't come as any surprise to you, but when we were little my parents got us a dog and had to take it back a short time later because we were all too afraid of it.

Ben and Becky said...

My kids are scared of dogs too, but there is no way I want a dog...
I have enough to worry about and clean up after without one more. You were brave to even attempt it!

Ryan and Hailee said...

you are so funny, I know exactly how you feel because we grew up with dogs, and it made me not ever in my life get a dog ever!!! I think the only reason I would ever consider it would be for the kids of course, and then also force me to get outside and walk. I am so glad it wasn't too late to take back the dog. They really can be way too much work, and very stressing!! Thanks for you cute comment by the way. And I think you win for the cutest boys in the world!!! They were so cute on Sunday!!!!