So this whole blogging thing is kind of turning out to be really somber. I don't want it to be boring memoirs. With that said, here's another somewhat melancholy entry.
After months of fighting the little voice in my head that's been nagging me to set up dermatology appointments for Michael and I, I finally got us in for a visit. I particularly felt the urge after our neighbor found out she has a bad case of melanoma. I didn't think skin cancer was all that serious, but after reading about what my neighbor is facing, its so scary. So Michael has a few "pot holes," if you will, on his back now from our fun visit and when we were there I almost forgot to point out this little bump that's been on my scalp for a few years now. Dr. Eberting said she thought it might be a basal cell carcinoma, but was uncertain and sent in a sample and sure enough it is. I know BCC is one of the least serious cancers to have, and I am grateful for that, but something about knowing that your body is defective in a way is a little disappointing. It just makes you wonder what else is going on in there.
We've been through cancer with Michael and honestly, I'm mostly relieved that all his specimens came back fine. He likes to grow things and it scares me. Plus, his were sent away with the thought of possible melanoma, so its definite relief. They did say though that his came back "a-typia," meaning that they match the criteria for cancer but the actual specimens did not show positive for cancer........so.......just watch and see if they grow back.
We got to go on a date tonight. That's an anomaly around here. It was fun to spend time alone. Its funny how even though this growth I have isn't a big deal at all to the cancer world, its a big deal to me. It helps me identify with what Michael might have been thinking when he went through his ordeal, in a small way. I think he feels that too. We both had a chance, once again, to re-focus on what counts in our life and what we want to change. I love this guy. I'm a lucky girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment