Wednesday, January 23, 2008

30's Not That Old

Another birthday came and went. It was fun. Its funny now how the celebration is different than it used to be. My kids really look forward to all the planning. Gavin picked out my cake for me a week ago. Michael took the boys out a couple days ago to get everything for the big event (or so the boys thought). The kids helped Michael make a yummy french toast breakfast (one of my favorites). Gavin went to preschool, and when he came back we took Scott over to my mom's so we could enjoy the afternoon playing with the big boys. First we went bowling - Gavin's favorite thing in life. He gets so excited at the prospect of being encouraged to throw something - especially a huge, heavy ball! We had time for just one game, and then took the kids to go see the new Veggie Tales movie "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything." Jared thoroughly enjoyed it! I kept glancing over during the show and he was cracking up! That was more entertaining than the show! I was hoping that movie would do well 'cause we really like the "Big Idea" company, but we were the only people in the entire theatre! Sad, but kind of nice. So if your family is looking for a fun movie to see - take them to this one. After the movie it was time to pick up Scootie. We enjoyed a Cafe Rio dinner, had cake and ice cream and put the kids to bed! It was a fun day. The boys (all 4 of them - big one included) bought me beautiful roses and an itunes card for my MP3 player I got for Christmas. I was also indulged a trip to my favorite place to spend more than I ought to - Tai Pan Trading. With the basement just finished, I really have the urge to decorate! Thanks my love, for everything!

Today I got to spend the morning at the Cannery. This is the first time I've attempted "wet pack" canning. Interesting. First of all, it was the 8 am shift and this lady has gotten used to sleeping in since I've had Jared home. So, I was totally zoning out, as I stared into the abyss of gushy raw pork chunks my hands were sitting in. It was actually quite comical. For an hour I was at my post alone, so I had an hour to my thoughts which is also quite interesting. Its not often I get those moments. So one of the funny random thoughts I'll share was this - I remembered the lady on "Patch Adams" who had the fantasy of bathing in noodles. Well, I think mine is to swim in a pool of jello. I think it'd be great for the whole family actually. From there, my mind kept wandering ........Back to the cannery though - wet pack canning doesn't go by as fast as dry pack canning does. So I think I prefer the dry pack - it's less messy too!

There's one last thing I have got to document (sorry Michael). So last night was frigid! Michael's car had accumulated a lot of snow and ice, so he thought it would be smart to clean off the car last night rather than this morning. So, he went outside and started up the Honda and turned the heater on full blast to thaw out the ice, intending to come back and scrape it off. I guess he locked the doors and was going to use my keys to get back in. To his defense I'll say this - he did ask me to help remind him to go out and finish cleaning off the snow and turn off the car. My disclaimer is that I have one million and ten things juggling in my brain and this was the only thing I didn't try hard to remember. I was distracted by family calling to wish a happy birthday. So, this morning in the shower, Michael jumps a mile high and his eyes get huge. "Oh no! I forgot to go out and turn off the car!!!!!" I couldn't believe it! We still had a little Honda sitting in the driveway! Its a miracle. Especially considering that the McCune's (our neighbors) just told us their truck was broken into the other day! So 8 /12 hours and half a tank of gas later, all was well! I told Michael this ranks up there along with a friend of ours who drove off with the gas pump in her tank! He thinks it wasn't that bad.......hah!

6 comments:

Young Family said...

Happy Birthday!!
That story about your car is so funny!! I am glad that it stayed in your driveway.

Anonymous said...

I wondered why Michael was going to work so early when I ran by this morning at 6am. That one way to have a warm up a car for work. SO FUNNY! Happy Birthday!
Heather Peck

Kelly said...

Sounds like you had a great birthday. The car story made me laugh-sounds like something we would do:)

Leah said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Kari! Its sounds like you had a fabulous day! That story about your car is a classic!

Mindi said...

Funny car story. Happy Birthday!

Cara said...

Hilarious Michael. So something I would do. Sounds like a great birthday. I haven't even done the wet pack, and don't really have an urge to do so. Great times.