Sunday, January 27, 2008

Together Again

So this evening I got a phone call from my mom saying that President Gordon B. Hinckley has passed away. I could tell she was very teary over it. Honestly, the first thing that came to mind was that I bet he's so relieved and excited to see Marjorie again. I picked the above picture (I think its from a Pioneer Day parade) to represent him because I associate light heartedness and his wife with him. It seemed up until her death that the two were inseparable. It was so cute.

I think what he did here during his lifetime was great. He set a great example of service, selflessness and endurance. I'm young enough that he's really the only prophet I've been able to form an opinion of. ( I vaguely remember President Kimball, and that memory is of hearing of his death at church, one Sunday morning. President Hunter, I honestly don't recall much of. ) I also think it is to his credit that he seemed very "real" to me and a lot less "bland" if you will, than some of his predecessors. Maybe a more eloquent way of saying it was that he was a "people person."

I'd say the best memory I have of him is when I was able to attend a BYU devotional before Michael and I got married. I was literally only 4 rows away from him and totally awestruck. We all stood to sing "We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet," and I felt one of the greatest floods of the spirit I can recall feeling in my lifetime, during one of the greatest periods of spiritual growth I've personally undergone. There's something incredible about being in the presence of a prophet of God. When I was googling pictures of President Hinckley for my blog, I came across this one.

This picture is why I'm not brought to tears over his death. It makes me tear up thinking of how lonely he probably was these last few years without his best friend. We're saddened by our loss, but happy for his reunion. He will be missed, but I'm glad they're together again.

For anyone interested, my mom sent me a link to a nice video on him if yo follow this url:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvB3z2U8DEo

1 comment:

Cara said...

I remember that picture of him at the funeral. Heart wrenching! Thanks for your thoughts.