Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

I know, just the title of the entry sounds like something extremely momentous should've happened, but it didn't. That's alright though. Honestly, I just like an excuse to have Michael home, so that's good enough for me!

We usually take my grandmother to visit my grandfather's gravesite every Memorial Day Weekend. She likes to go the Friday before, because it's less busy. This year the weather was just too crappy to take her. He's buried in the Salt Lake cemetery, right on the hill and its not easy to get to his headstone, let alone when you have to climb up the hill in mud. So, I told her we'd take her next week when the weather's better, and Jared's out of school ( that will save me from having to juggle kids' schedules too).

Oh, I almost forgot - let me backtrack, of course, to Indiana Jones. We went and saw it Thursday night. Loved it. Its another Indiana Jones - style movie, for lack of better description, so if you like them, you'll like this one too. I think it was Goldie Hahn who said in a funny movie a long time ago, "He might be 80 years old, but he's still a stud." And yes, Harrison Ford is starting to look old. Sad. Michael liked it too. A date night is always fun!

OK, so back to the weekend......So, Saturday felt like any other day for me because, once again there were projects piled up that only Michael can do, so I was left hanging with the kids. He managed to hook up the phone and internet connections for our office downstairs and believe it or not....we've moved all the computer crap out of our front room! It's a miracle. Its also disgusting. Computers constantly circulate dust with their fans, and I'm totally embarrased to say that when we lifted one of those plastic things that protects your carpet (you put your office chair on), it was pretty bad. Let's just say the carpet color you see now, is not even close to what it was when it was installed! Gross! It makes me feel and look like a terrible housekeeper, but in truth, I think that's pretty much to be expected after 5 years of wear, and stuff being tracked in during our basement finishing. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself... I don't know...

The only thing that made Saturday eventful, was that we decided to take the boys over to the Rec. Center and shoot some hoops. They love it when we go down and practice

Sunday was our typical go to church day. Nothing eventful to share there. Monday we got together at my sister, Kenna's house for a BBQ. That's always fun. My sister Kelly is moving back to her house in Provo, from Blanding, so she was around too, which made it more fun. My baby sister Kim brought around the new boyfriend. I felt bad for him - meeting the family is never fun. I tried to make him feel comfortable. He seems very nice, a little intimidated and shy, but nice. I almost forgot to mention that this was our Memorial Day/ Celebrate Dad's Birthday BBQ! Kelly made a fancy cake with Peeps for decor and it looks like a sunflower from above.

So, there you have it - our weekend in a nutshell. Jared has a teddy bear picnic tomorrow at school and is excited about that. Its hard to believe school's almost over! I hear the ice cream man in the background, scaling the streets of our neighborhood. I don't trust those guys. Here's a little side-story for you - it's sad how "ghetto" my childhood was. We used to go to a place called Petit Park for the men's church baseball games. My Dad had just been up to bat and I heard the ice cream man, so I went over to get something. When I got up to the counter ( I was the only kid, about 11 or so) the guy said to me "Hey, have you seen anyone selling coke around here?" I wasn't sure what he meant, and I was a diligent kid who'd just finished my DARE program. So, I went straight over to my friend's Dad, and told him that this guy had just talked about drugs. He then went over to the ice cream man's truck with a baseball bat and asked him if he was offering kids drugs. The ice cream man drove off as my friend's Dad called 911 (which, consequently when he dialed, it had a busy signal). He tried to get the ice cream man's license plate number, but part of it had been cut off!

2 comments:

Mindi said...

Sounds like a fun/productive weekend. I'm sure where the computer was isn't as dirty as you make it sound..you always do a good job of keeping things clean.

Leah said...

You guys got TONS done! Good job!