Well, I'm sure you could've guessed which one of my children this entry is dedicated to. If you didn't, then you don't know our family.... Gavin has had a bad habit lately of taking off whenever he wants to. In the last two weeks, he's taken off for preschool without me, twice. I could always assume that's where he's going, but I want to be sure to see him go in. So I've been explaining to him how much that scares me and that I want to watch him go, assuming that telling him that much, shouldn't be asking too much of a 4 year old. But, again...today, two minutes after that conversation... "Where's Gavin?" This child is driving me nuts!
Yesterday, I went to the mall with my sister Kelly. She has a 4 year old too, named Logan. We were pushing the babies in the strollers and the big boys were just ahead of us, when a woman stopped us and randomly held out these certificates, rambling something about giving them to us for a free carousel ride (which there is no carousel I know of around this mall), and we were quick to tell her "No thank you." I could tell she didn't like us after that (total side note). Just after that, we continued straight ahead and noticed that the boys were missing. I swear we'd only looked away for maybe 1 minute. We were close to the exit where we'd parked, so I thought the boys probably ran down that wing. Kelly and I walked down there, not in a panic yet, and..... no boys. We looked the way we'd come....no boys. They had talked about the play area (which is no longer there) and I thought that maybe that's where they headed. Then, of course, my brain switches to "worst case scenario mode," and I told Kelly to go back to where those women were who distracted us. You never know - where I grew up, I wouldn't be surprised if I heard of ladies distracting mothers while people ran off with their kids. (I know, paranoid to some, but reality to others.) So I run down the wing that used to have the play area.... no boys. I start to go back to where I sent Kelly and I see her....again no boys. Then, in the distance I hear two little boys yelling for "mom." Gavin was running down the corridor looking for me. Turns out he and his cousin ducked inside a game store for at least 6 or 7 minutes. I'm surprised an employee there didn't notice two unattended little boys. Needless to say, this whole disappearing act is getting out of control! I explained to him for like....the umpteenth time that I was concerned because a "bad guy or girl" could take you away if you don't stay with mom. And when we got in the car and he saw how worried I was, he started to get a little teary and said "Mom, I don't know what I would do without you. I was scared when I couldn't find you." It was really sweet. I thought maybe we were making some headway, but apparently he was quick to forget because he did it again today. AHHHH!!!!
3 comments:
That is scary when one's child run's away from them, Jane's done that a couple of time's and it's scared me to death. Hopefully he stops doing it soon.
Sorry about the disappearing act. It's so scary when you can't find your kid. Especially after the few minutes of he's probably (wherever) wears off and you still can't find them. Good luck!
We have been trying to explain to him also!!! They just think that they are so big and nothing is going to happen. If anything works-let me know...I never know where Addy is!!!
Post a Comment