I love July in Utah. Its so fun to have more than one reason to celebrate and have a family BBQ! For any of my friends who read this that are not Mormon, Pioneer Day is July 24th. Someone comically asked me is it " Joseph Smith Day?" No - Pioneer Day is a day we recognize because when Brigham Young led the early pioneers to Utah and they overlooked the Salt Lake Valley, he said "This is the place," in reference to where it would be safe for early LDS settlers to live and worship without being mobbed. Anyway, Pioneer Day is a recognized State holiday and I always love a reason to have Michael get a day off!
So, Pioneer Day this year was on Thursday. We had a BBQ at our house and my sister Kelly and her family, along with my parents,Kimberly and her latest (soon to be) addition to our family - Tyson, joined us. Gee wasn't feeling up to joining the festivities, but somehow managed to spend the morning in the kitchen preparing treats for the family! We had a fun time just hanging out. The kids played in the yard and we enjoyed a fun round of Bocce Ball. Its become a favorite family game. It seems like the yard works out nicely for it - we can use the upper tier for a Bocce course! Dad claims he used to play with a couple Italian guys "back in the day." Let's just say we have yet to see proof of that!!! Love you!
We had quite the stock of fireworks this year. I couldn't help but go by one of those tents set up in the Walmart parking lot. Although it killed me to spend $10 on one firework (I bought 2), they were by far the funnest ones! We also had a couple of those multi packs! I'd say it lasted about an hour! It was a fun, late summer night! I'm not sure how many good pictures I got - I'll have to check and post them later!
1 comment:
Sounds like you had a great Pioneer day!
Post a Comment