Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"Oh My Gosh! No Way..."

So yesterday morning, Amber and I were at the rec center on the treadmills and I was watching the news. My ears perked up when I heard some mention of Guatemala City, because that is where Michael served his mission. The next thing I know they're talking about a plane crash and how there were only 4 survivors on this plane that had several passengers from Utah. Of those four survivors, only one Utahn survived. Then they flashed my old roommate's husband's picture on TV! And the next thing I know, I see my old roommate, Brooke on TV being interviewed. I couldn't believe it! I was just in shock! I kept saying "Oh my gosh!"

From what I understand, his plane had engine problems and made an emergency landing that went wrong. There were 14 passengers (which were in Guatemala doing volunteer work) and only 4 lived. I guess they landed in a farming field and there were children on the farm who saw the crash and ran out to pull people away from the crash site. It sounds like Dan (my roommate's hubby) tried to help others get out but couldn't, as he discovered both his legs were broken. Then the airplane blew up just after he was dragged to safety. (This is all stuff I've learned from various articles.) I am still just in shock! You never think you'd know someone that something like this would happen to. This has just made me think a lot about how blessed my life is. I've seen it over and over again in my life; you never know when you're going to go. Just another reminder to soak in every moment. I hope the Liljenquist family will get through this OK and my heart goes out to Dan and the others involved and their families. I can't even begin to fathom watching my friends die, and all the pain he's going through right now; not just physical, but emotional and mental. So, if you read this and you don't mind adding a few people to your prayers, please think of these friends. The story is incredible! You can read more here: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=4099944

2 comments:

Mindi said...

Crazy that you know this family, just another reminder that it's a small world. That plane crash by Moab over the weekend made me think along these lines too.

Anonymous said...

That is insane!!! I did see that on the news a week ago...My prayers go out to those families.